Papyrus Author 11.09e Update

Papyrus Author 11.09e Update :tada:

Hello, fellow Papyrus Author users! We’re releasing the 11.09e quality-of-life update, packed with love, improvements and fixes to make your writing experience even more enjoyable:

Writing Session Fix: Ever had that moment when you had to reopen your writing session manually after an update? That’s history now! We’ve identified and fixed the issue. From the next update onwards, your session will remain where it should. :ocean:
Workaround until then: open your last session before installing the update. Don’t linger on the start screen.

Distraction Free Mode: We’ve fixed a potential issue when exiting Distraction Free Mode. Write without distractions and return to the real world seamlessly. :milky_way:

Additional improvements:

• Fixes for text cursor shenanigans and truncated words and lines under some circumstances
  • Printing (Mac): Improved image behavior with SVG and bitmap graphics in print output
  • PDF/Print Settings (Mac): Adjusted print options to prevent errors in native PDF output
  • PDF Export for POD services: Improved font subtype naming to comply with the needs of some print-on-demand services
  • Retina/High-DPI: Enhanced on-screen display for SVG and bitmap graphics

Farewell to macOS Catalina: This update marks a tribute to our macOS Catalina users, as 11.09e is the last version available for this operating system. From next version on, Papyrus Author will require macOS 11.0 / Big Sur or higher. Now is a great time to upgrade and prepare for the future! :desktop_computer::blue_heart::rocket:

Note: We skipped version 11.08 as it was an internal release. Imagine all the heavy lifting we did in the background.

So, what are you waiting for? Dive into the new Papyrus Author 11.09e update and enjoy a smoother writing experience! Let your creativity soar, and don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with us. We’re always eager to make Papyrus Author even better for you! :star2:

Happy writing! :books:

Edit: Bumped to 11.09d with a couple hotfixes for distraction-free writing.
Edit: Bumped to 11.09e with anoter stability hotfix.

1 Like

I think a tiny bug crept it because I can no longer change the thread a scene belongs to, or add characters and locations, by clicking on it in navigator. Help!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Do you mean the menu for Timeline Threads and Characters is not there in your Navigator, or that it doesn’t work?

I tried on my project, and I can move characters to the “planned in this Chapter” area, and change threads in the “Timeline” tab.

Here’s a quick video, does yours look different?

Video

Hi Sam - it’s completely different because I use two pinboards so access Organiser through the icon on the bottom left, which brings up a new tab. Before the upgrade I could click on a scene and it would open the right hand half of the tab into the area where you can change threads, characters etc. Now when I click on it nothing happens.

Thanks for the reply!

I think I got it! :bulb:

So the area is not showing for you anymore? You can open it by clicking the “Organizer Properties” button on the bottom-right of the Organizer.

Video

Hope this helps. :man_construction_worker: :wrench:

I don’t know why upgrading hid the properties tab for you, I’ll make a note of it and check it in future versions…

Fantastic… thanks so much, Sam - brilliant support as ever :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have just, mistakenly, tried to upgrade to 11.09e in response to an automatic message. Now I realise that my Mac is still on Catalina 10.15.7 and cannot be upgraded. Can I obtain version 11.09d of Papyrus, or does a happy association have to come to a bitter end? Please help me.

Brian Mulhall - with Papyrus since about 1990!

Dear Brian, I sincerely hope you can stick around a while longer: Did you try just running the update? We designed the 11.09e update, which is just a hotfix, to be compatible with 11.09d. It should run on Catalina.

The cutoff shall be with the next major version increment.

Please keep us posted if it worked!

Dear Hendrik,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly I try running the updated file, but get a message that ‘Papyrus Author quit unexpectedly’, with options to ‘Ignore’, ‘Reopen’ or ‘Report’. Reopen merely repeats this. Report shows a long file, to be sent to Apple; is this of any use to you? Otherwise I am stumped, having unwisely kept no back-up copy of the program.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for a detailed explanation of the error message! :slight_smile:

Sounds like the Papyrus Author update might have been interrupted - see more details below. :mag:

For a quick fix, you can download the latest version of Papyrus Author and install it in a new location on your computer. The fresh installation should work no problem! :+1:

Here’s the download link: Download Papyrus Author 2022

More details on the interrupted update

When Papyrus Author has been running well before the update, but now is giving out an error message, it suggests to me that Apple’s macOS Gatekeeper has stopped the installation at a point, or your rights to save files into that location have changed over time.

It happens from time to time with macOS computers with system updates, or when settings are changed.

To check permissions, here’s a guide from Apple: Control access to files and folders on Mac

Let us know how it goes! :wrench: :construction_worker_man:

Thanks for the reply, Sam. Unfortunately none of this appears to work. I get the full Papyrus folder installed, but the same problem arises when trying to open the program itself.

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry it didn’t work out. I’m looking into this on my end. :microscope: :lab_coat:

In the meantime, it’d be super helpful if you can check a couple of things on your computer:

1. That Papyrus Author has rights to access files on your computer. Here’s a quick guide on how to do it, and it should be just a few clicks: Control access to your files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

2. Check that your user account’s permissions are OK in the destination you’re installing to. Here’s a guide on it: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

Lastly, could you check the size of the Papyrus Author installation on your computer? That way, if I compare it to the installation’s size on another computer we can see if it’s been able to get all the files in there. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your patience–we’ll get this sorted out! :muscle:

The folder shows as 1,305,251,042 bytes (1.32 GB on disk) for 2,431 items

I was trying to recreate this error message on my mac. To me, it sounds like Papyrus Author has installed on your computer, but there’s some problem with launching it.

I was going through Apple’s support pages, and this article has a few steps worth a try:

1. Restart your computer and then launch Papyrus Author again.
  2. Open your computer in Safe Mode, and see if Papyrus Author works

By the way, did you check these? :muscle:

Thanks!

I had checked the file permissions, both in System Preferences and in the files in the folder in which I have installed Papyrus. As far as I know there was no problem.

After booting in ’Safe’ mode the problem still persisted.

I have now removed Papyrus Author from the Applications Folder, again downloaded Papyrus from the link you sent and reinstalled it. Everything appeared to proceed as I would expect. After the final message, asking if I wanted to open the application downloaded from the web, and accepting, the program still fails to open, but returns the same message as quitting unexpectedly.

The Folder is now 1,296,886,396 bytes (1.33 GB on disk) for 2,393 items.

So now I cannot think of what else to try. Perhaps the error report will mean something to you, so it is attached. Please discard it if it is of no use.

Brian

(Attachment PapyrusReport.rtf is missing)

This is the report produced when Papyrus quits.PapyrusReport.pdf (134.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for the report - we’re looking into it! :mag:

I’ll let you know when we know more. :construction_worker_man: :wrench:

Thanks for the patience,

We’ve put out a new update, Papyrus Author 11.09f! :smiley:

You can download it here: Download Papyrus Author 2022

Let us know how it works out for you! :computer:

Vielen Dank. Alles läuft jetzt wie erwartet. Der Weihnachtsmann is angekommen!

Brian mulhall

1 Like