Program Keeps Closing When I try to Open my Document

Windows 11

Latest Version since 24/5/2022

I just downloaded this yesterday and while I was writing my book, my laptop crashed and when it re-booted, I am able to open the main menu when opening Papyrus Author but when I try to open the book I was working on before my laptop crashed, I get a momentary white pop up screen as if the document was about to load but then it closes along with the program. Not gonna lie, this is pretty frustrating since I just stopped using a different writing software for this exact same reason only before I was not able to even open the program.

Hello, welcome to the Community!

Since the problems happened with another program as well, I suspect the cause is somewhere in the computer or the operating system. Because there’s no error message to tell us what could be causing the crash, let’s try to pinpoint the problem with the following:

1. Restart your computer. This way Windows can finish any pending updates, and shut off any hanging processes that may be causing trouble with running Papyrus Author.

2. Check that your Windows updates are up-to-date. You can see updates with this guide from Windows Support: Update Windows

3. Check that your CPU is not over utilized, or that your ‘Up time’ is not extremely long. You can see these statistics by opening the Task Manager and selecting the ‘Performance’ tab.

Uptime menu and Task Manager

How to open the Task Manager

• If the Up Time is more than 24 hours, it means the computer has not been restarted in a while.

Let me know if these steps helped, and we will continue from there. :slight_smile:

After restarting the laptop, it does seem to work now. If the problem comes back and I find that none of the options here work, should I reply to this thread?

Thanks!

Glad to hear it worked out! :+1:

If the restart cleared out the problems, it could’ve been just a hanging process in Windows. Hope it’s smooth sailing from now on.

That would be great. :slight_smile:

I can recommend setting Papyrus Author to take backups of your work, in case there are any further problems with Windows. Here is a tutorial video on backups: Saving With Incremental and Automatic Backups