Turning Tales Week 5: The Things We Leave Behind

“I know it’s… bad“ Erik said, swatting at a cloud of mosquitoes around them.

The building is an old log structure. The logs are dried and cracked, a broken board door is hanging by a rusted hinge, and most interestingly– the building has no windows. The roof is covered with thick, green moss, the red paint is chipped and falling down in big flakes from the walls. No sense in trying to fix the old, we could just build a new one right?

“Yes Erik. One could say it’s in derelict condition, heh heh” Jan was smiling, as he kicked on the base beam of the building.

“I don’t know if it can be done. I know Moffa would have loved it, but repairing it would be more expensive than building a new one…” Erik grabbed a piece of rope hanging from the door, and pulled on it.

The door came crashing down, upheaving a cloud of dust with a stench… not a stench, actually a pleasant smell of dry wood, smoke and…

“Oh it smells just like I remembered it!” Erik found himself exclaiming. He hadn’t been here for decades, yet the smell instantly brought him back to his childhood at this place.

The building revealed to be two rooms. First, a small hallway with hooks on the walls, black-and-white photographs of people fishing, eating and smiling. A table with old bottles of soap and shampoo, a lantern.

At the end of the hallway, there’s a door ajar–the next room is paneled with lacquered spruce paneling, and the are two levels of wooden benches taking up most of the room.

“This sauna is exactly as I remembered it, Jan!” Erik jumped in, blending into the pitch-black of the building.

Jan took out his phone, turned on the flashlight and followed.

“It’s good to be back, old sauna.”