Why does it ignore standard GUI conventions?

I’m finding it very difficult to do things that should be relatively simple operations because the program frequently ignores Windows/GUI conventions in favor of doing things it’s own way.

Case in point: full screen mode is an ON/OFF thing that would normally be denoted by a checkmark on the menu item, Same thing with VIEW LEFT MARGIN or SHOW INVISIBLE ELEMENTS

How do i make it display text within a chapter continuously, with no gap where the page breaks will occur?

Wow, either I had a stroke while entering that subject line or it got corrupted at some point.

It should say cONVENTIONS.

Hi, welcome to the Community!

In Papyrus Author you can see if an option is selected when its icon is highlighted in the menu:

If it’s an option you use frequently, you can create a keyboard shortcut by navigating ‘Options’ → ‘Keyboard Shortcuts’ and doing the following steps:

1. select the category in which the option you wish to hotkey belongs to, and select the menu item
  2. click on the ‘New key combination’ field and press the key combination you wish to use for it
  3. Click ‘Assign’

Additionally you can add the menu item to the toolbar:

1. Right-click on an empty area of the toolbar and select ‘Customize toolbar…’

Customize toolbar

1. Select the menu item on the ‘Unused Icons’ list on the right, and move it to the ‘Toolbar’ menu on the left by clicking the ‘<- Icon’ button

You can hide the gap between pages by navigating ‘view’ → and turning off ‘Show Top and Bottom Margin’ option.

Yeah I figured out the icon thing eventually, but he standard convention would be to use a checkmark, not highlighted icon. I, I was floundering around in confusion for several days trying to figure out how things work.

If you had followed standard GUI conventions, I would have known how it it worked immediately and wasted no time trying to figure it out. And you wouldn’t be wasting time replying to messages like this.

GUI conventions are sometimes arbitrary when considered individually, but collectively they have a very specific purpose. They reduce or altogether eliminate the learning curve when users begin using a new app.

I’m hoping Papyrus Author is good enough to justify going through the learning curve, but it would b better if it just did things the expected way.