10.08a Incompatible with macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

So after downloading the Papyrus Author update today, I got a popup informing me “You have macOS 10.12.6. The application requires macOS 10.13 or later.”

Unfortunately, I cannot update this Macbook’s OS any further. My Macbook is from 2012, which is out of the compatible range for macOS 10.13 (Big Sur) or later.

Is there any way for you guys to roll back support for macOS Sierra? I understand you only support the latest version of your software, but I would be delighted if I could either A) keep using Papyrus Author 10.07b, which worked perfectly, or B) continue to receive updates compatible with my OS.

Hi,

unfortunately Apple has dropped support completely for macOS Sierra (10.12). When Apple drops support for one of their older macOS versions, we will at some point follow, because we need to be able to rely on the operating system manufacturer providing driver and security updates.

We’ll soon jump to macOS Catalina (10.15) for this reason, because even High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14) are not supported by Apple anymore.

Apple’s policy for which devices can do the free update to the newer macOS is often an age range of 7-10 years, depending on the device line.

When you’re in love with an old Apple computer and can’t let go, it’s often possible to update them to the newest macOS version through third-party tools, but that comes with a little bit of fiddling and trades one unsupported route against another.

So in short: For a macOS version dropped by Apple, there’s nothing we can offer at this time. Sorry!

Understandable. It’d be nice if you guys could continue to let users like me use an old version, like many other programs do (for example, I have a 2018 version of Photoshop installed on this Macbook - it’s no longer available for download, but I am still allowed to use it so long as I have a subscription), but I suppose I should be more frustrated with Apple and their planned obsolescence.

I’m actually not particularly in love with this Macbook, I just don’t want to junk it when it still works well for what I need it to do. I looked into the third party OS upgrades, but at this point I think I’ll just go back to my other writing programs that still work on Sierra.

Thanks for the quick response.

1 Like