Bug - the text is a reference / field result

Hi,
Part of my text became suddenly blocked to any edits. It says it’s a reference / field result.
I tried to revert to a backup but the same there. I think it happened after the last update.
Any ideas?
Papyrus Author: (gyazo.com)

Right-click on the text and select “Reference …“. What do you see in the Reference dialog?

1 Like

Hi, I am having the same issue. I have pasted three of my stories together, and cannot edit books 2 & 3. I did the right click and it says ‘remove remaining reference text marking’.

Hi, let’s get the book fixed up! :slight_smile:

Does the text in your books 2 and 3 look normal, or is it blue or green? This info will help me pinpoint what could be causing the hiccup.

I can also take a look at the file if you send it over to me as a private message.

:bulb: You can attach the book file to a message by just dragging and dropping it into the reply field.

I’m sure it’ll be a quick fix, and you’re back writing in no time! :construction_worker_man: :wrench:

Age Perfection.pap (file deleted)

Thank you!

Thanks! :scroll:

After a deep dive into the book layout, I see there’s a few problems with merging the books into one. :diving_mask:

In short, the first book’s chapters are made differently than the others’, and the chapter headings need a little tweaking so they’ll land in the books you’ve set up. :microscope:

I think the quickest fix here is to first make the changes in each book, and then bring them into one big omnibus again.

All these settings are very document-specific, so I’ll reach out to you with a private message, and we can go forward from there. I’ll go ahead and delete your book from the public area of the forum. :slight_smile:

Sam, can you give a little more detail in public, too? I downloaded the file as well and really wondered how all the remaining references got in there. Even opened it in the German version to see if that gave me any insight (it didn’t).

1 Like

Heheh, as I was looking into this doc, I was thinking “I wish glucose was here to work on this with me…” :grin:

Yep, it’s not a simple case at all.

I’ll have to dig in more to know how it happened. It’s a super unusual one, and finding out the cause will be super valuable.

I’ll post here when I know!

If you happen to crack the case, let me know as well :mag: :male_detective:

1 Like

Thank you (both!) so much for looking into this for me. Kind of typical of me, I’m afraid, lol

1 Like

Hey fellow writers, I ran into this issue today and resolved it. Not sure if this will help you or not.
I made a mistake in my novel a few different ways that I had to unravel to fix my problem.

I tried to mass replace Pharoah to Pharaoh because I realized that I had spelled it wrong. Now one of my characters had Pharoah listed as an additional name, so I manually corrected it there so the auto link on their name would disappear.

Then papyrus told me that it was spelled wrong ofcourse, there were over 300 instances I needed to change but I would get the This text is a reference / field result. Error.

As I started at the beginning of the document in my puzzle I realized that I did indeed create a chapter in organizer for my outline of part of the book I havent written yet.

Because the Chapter of the book contained the incorrect word it was tring to fix it couldn’t alter chapter titles from the cntrl F menu.

I manually edited the Chapter titles to the correct spelling and tried again. This fixed it and allowed me to mass change the word throughout the document.

Hope this helps!!!

1 Like

Hi, and welcome to the Community! :clap:

This is very interesting. :mag:

I’ll dig in and see if I can reproduce this. Great job investigating the cause - finding it in the Organizer is some serious detective skills! :smiley:

Absolutely! It’s super helpful to know all the different sets of circumstances where this happens. Clearly, the reference protection feature is not working the way it’s supposed to in these situations, and this’ll help us look into it.

Thanks so much for sharing with us! :construction_worker_man: :wrench:

Have fun with Papyrus Author! :computer:

Edit:

If you get this error message when using “Find and Replace”, it means the text you’re replacing is inserted to the page by a feature of Papyrus Author. These features can be:

1. Chapters (You can find and edit them in the Navigator).
  2. Book Front Matter (About the author section, book’s name etc.) You can edit these texts by going “Document” → “Document Properties” → “Front Matter”.
  3. Table of Contents (you can edit the chapters’ names, and right click → “Update Table of Contents” on the Table of Contents to refresh it.

Thank you @michaelvesterby!