Celebrating the Best Contributions of Week #3

The results are in!

:leaves: A windfall of creativity
Together, we created more than 32 characters. That’s a big enough cast for about two to three novels! (Or almost 10 percent of one novel by George R. R. Martin.)

Submissions Votes Visits
32 110 526

And the winners are:

More reader's favorites:

Luck was with:

Contributor Submission Votes
l.croudace “The door opened…” 2 :heart:

For the first time in Turning Tales history, we have a tie! Two excellent pieces share the title of most popular entry this week and will be celebrated with 12 months of Papyrus Author+.

One of them starts with a sentence that will polarize any dinner party: “I can’t stand babies”. Then we watch while the protagonist gets dragged into a tiny interaction and reluctantly, grudgingly changes their mind, and it’s adorable.

The other one is more on the terrifying side. Have you ever seen the Shadow Man? Unmoving, unspeaking, floating just above your bed? Would you reach out to him? @reneeschnebelinbooks’s protagonist does, and as realities interweave, we fear for her.

Who would you let you give an injection in the eye? @tahitiansunset’s first-person narrator is in a vulnerable place. She is losing her sight, and she’s scheduled for eye-surgery. The medical staff does little to reassure her: „Doctors with smiles that they learned in medical school. Ones that say, ‘I care about you’, but no more than I am required to.“ She focuses in on the first person who wins her trust. The author’s use of rhythm and callbacks makes this quiet story a great read.

The third runner-up does not exactly describe a person, but … an entity? @RTGraver portrays his sleep paralysis demon. And somehow he manages to make the epitome of fear an ambiguous character.

His fingers reached through the darkness, down to my face. Two pointed nails touched against my eyelids, pushing them closed. I remember his fingertips feeling cool, but not cold. Even though the ends of his fingers were sharp, his touch was gentle.

Congratulations, and keep on writing! :star_struck:

One full year of Papyrus Author+ goes to @StarStrukk as well as @reneeschnebelinbooks. On top of that, one participant was chosen by luck of the draw to receive another full year of Papyrus Author+: congratulations @l.croudace!

In the fifth week of Turning Tales, we explore abandoned places. :derelict_house: Join in! We can’t wait to see where your entries will take us.

3 Likes

Fantastic news - I’m not often very lucky and this will be great for me. I write for a living but it tends to be very precise and formal writing. I hope to retire shortly so this prize will mean I can explore my creative side and perhaps finally finish the books I’ve started. Thank you so much.
I’d also like to say that I am in awe of some of the writing on here - some very talented and creative people. Well done to the winners - well deserved. Keep writing everyone.

6 Likes

This is so exciting! Thank you so much and I am excited to explore the options that Papyrus+ has to offer. I have used the general version or Papyrus, Scrivener, and I always end up back using Word because it’s just easier… that is until it needs to be exported to ebook .

3 Likes