Celebrating the Best Contributions of Week #7

The results are in!

:leaves: A windfall of creativity
We created sixteen parallel universes from a single starting point!

Submissions Votes Visits
16 61 340

And the winner is:

Contributor Submission Votes
wendyalowden TEMPEST FUGIT 11 :open_book:

More reader's favorites:

RTGraver Alchemy Sounded Good At The Time 9 :book:
Jer Tapestry 7 :book:

Luck was with:

aboland25 Luck 6 :open_book:

“What is it my child?” he asked. I loved how he called me ‘my child’. “Are you back for more of the magic elixir?”

What makes @wendyalowden’s scene so utterly delightful is the clash of worlds. A magic portal joins an alchemist’s workshop to a suburban mom’s laundry room. The familiarity between these disparate characters is heartwarming. The ease with which the mystic and the mundane interlock suggests there could be magic in our own ordinary lives, just around the corner.

As soon as the door was partially ajar, the smell of rotten, fetid flesh escaped, with the haste of a child on the last day of school. Slumped over a mahogany desk, was the Alchemist.

All the potions and spells and experiments in the world cannot save you from being a fool. The alchemist in @RTGraver’s scene has tried to cheat Death, and the author creates a memento mori you can actually smell.

“Father, I need your help”
“What have you done now?
“Nothing, I just need a few things for a project. No faith in me, old man?”
“Plenty of faith that you’re up to something! What do you need?”

@Jer’s alchemist takes poppy against the pain. There’s a growth in his lungs that might kill him. He does not know that his son is weaving a cure. In an intriguing fantasy world, the author shows a relationship that feels real.

We truly conjured up some gold! Keep on writing!

One full year of Papyrus Author+ goes to @wendyalowden. On top of that, one participant was chosen by luck of the draw to receive another full year of Papyrus Author+: @aboland25

In the ninth week of Turning Tales, we burn everything down, or shake our heads disapprovingly. It’s a matter of temperament and circumstance.

In any case: Do join us! :fire:

1 Like