Cloud backups not automatic?

Operating System
Windows
Papyrus Author Version
Papyrus Author Pro version 10.08a Win64 dated 2022-1-1

So initially I assumed cloud backups are made automatically, just like the local backups. However it seems that I have to trigger them by clicking “Save to Cloud” manually, is this correct? I’ve triggered the backup progress by writing and saving (/waiting), and it triggers local backups but writes nothing to the cloud path.

Hello, welcome to the Community!

You are correct–Backups trigger automatically, but the ‘Save to cloud’ function only when activated. The document saved to the cloud, and the document backups are separate instances of your work.

If you wish to, you can set your Backups to save into your cloud drive instead of your local disk, by following these steps:

1. Navigate ‘Options’ → ‘Preferences’
  2. Select ‘Backups’ from the left-hand menu
  3. Select ‘In a Custom Directory’, and navigate to your cloud destination.
  4. Click ‘Select’.

I can see how having the ‘Save to Cloud’ function automated would be great as well. I will pass this idea along to our development team for future improvement! :mag:

Let me know if there are any further questions, I’m happy to help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah that explains it, thanks!

1 Like

All I do to make sure my files are backed up, is save them to my Dropbox folder and work on then from there. It also means I’m always synced between my devices.

2 Likes

@ben-brown54 That’s a great workflow! Of course, it requires always having an internet connection, but in most cases that is not a problem. :bulb:

You don’t actually need a permanent internet connection for Dropbox or similar cloud services. It’s only needed for syncing which can be delayed by hours, days or weeks until the internet connection comes back.

3 Likes

I was just about to write the same thing. :grinning:

1 Like