Color coding in Navigator not working

Mac 10.15

Papyrus Author Pro

I’m trying to get my navigator to color code elements like chapters, events, scenes, etc. As we see in all the screenshots. I’ve watch videos and read everything and it appears I am doing things correctly but nothing changes. I’ve clicked on the switch to show the colors from the timeline. The timeline wasn’t color-coded with the default colors until I changed them to different colors, then the timeline displaces some color variation. However, that doesn’t show up in the navigator. I can manually change the look of each chapter, event, scene individually, but that is a hassle and I’d rather the colors be assigned based on the element being added.

Am I missing a step?
Is this a bug?
Not sure what else to try.

Welcome to the community!

The Navigator lets you color-code chapters, scenes and events based on their thread color in the Timeline.

This works best when you assign colors to the Timeline threads yourself.

So, for example, if you color-code your timeline like this (blue, yellow, red):

It will appear like this in the Navigator:

Threads can be used in a multitude of ways.
They could cover separate plotlines running through the book; different periods of time, e.g. childhood, adulthood, etc. Or, you could also use them for the different elements. So, for example, you could have all chapters in one thread, all scenes in another, etc.

It is also possible to assign each individual element a separate color in the Navigator:

This will override the Timeline thread color displayed. So, for example changing scene 2 to gray, it will appear in the Navigator like this:

And the color of that element will copy across to the Timeline:

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. I think I had a different idea how the colors worked in timeline/navigator.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but have colors in timeline set, navigator options to show colors, yet navigator does not show chapter, scene, etc. colors. I can turn them on individually and they show, but that’s not practical.

Is this broken or am I missing a step?

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up!

I can see the thread colors are not updating automatically, when the thread colors have been set to < Auto > in the Timeline.

I think there’s a missing trigger to refresh the setting somewhere. I’ll pass this along in the company, and we’ll fix the behavior in a future version.

:bulb: Here’s a quick workaround to get thread colors visible in the Navigator

1. Go to the Timeline.
  2. Right-click on any thread, and go “Show Threads…” → “Threads…”
  3. Change each thread’s color from < Auto > to a color of your choice.

→ Now the thread colors are visible in the Navigator.

:wrench: At the moment it looks like the “Auto” color doesn’t work, but if all threads have an assigned color, and the “Use Timeline Thread Colors in the Navigator” is ticked on in the Navigator Options, it works.

Again, thanks for bringing this up! Hope the workaround works for you. :construction_worker_man:

That sort of worked, at least it forced the colors into the Navigator. But changing Threads from auto to a specific color changes all elements in that Thread (chapter). Thus my inserted scenes are the same color as the chapter (green) when the need is for scenes, characters, comments, etc., to retain unique colors.

For now until you fix this will have to manual change color for those other Navigator elements under each chapter.

Unless there’s a way inside Thread/Thread to alter this.

Hope that makes sense.

Gary

1 Like

Yep, this is true. I’ll bring it up as well.

If you switch off the thread colors in the Navigator, your original color choices for scenes and events is saved. But as far as I can tell, switching to Thread colors, the scenes and events are turned as well, and they’ll have to be switched manually.