Direct Speech Mode

Can Direct Speech Mode be configured to work with single speech marks rather than double?

Hi Chris and welcome to the community :grinning:

Currently, no, the direct speech option only works with the double quote marks.

If there’s more interest in expanding the feature, we could look into adding it :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, in which case how do I quickly and easily convert from single to double?

Thanks

Provided you only have singles in the document, you can set your document’s quotes the following way:

1. Navigate ‘Options’ → ‘Preferences’

preferences

1. Navigate to ‘Automatic Quotes’ under ‘User Interface’ tab

Change quotes to doubles

1. Change the first ‘Key’ box to a single quote, and the second ‘Key’ box to double quote

2. Click ‘Convert all Quotes in the Text to Typographic Quotes’. This will replace your document’s single quotation marks with doubles.

If you have a mix of single quotes and double quotes in your document, you can use the ‘Find and Replace’ -function to sort it out:

1. Navigate to ‘Edit’ → ‘Find/Replace…’

find and replace

Insert single quote to the ‘Find’ box and a double quote to the ‘Replace’ box, Hit find and Replace for the instances you find.

Let me know how it goes!

Hi

I tried the first method by following the instructions for the preferences. It didn’t work.

I then tried the second method using the Find and Replace function. This did work but had the unfortunate consequence of changing apostrophes to double marks i.e. it turned I’m to I"m etc.