Editing Character Sheet Layout

Operating System
macOS 12.3.1 (Monterey)

Papyrus Author Version
12.05a

Hi! I’m fairly new to Papyrus Author, and I’m trying to edit the Character Sheet to suit all the info I track on my characters. Are the tabs on the sheet limited to only 6 fields per tab, or can I add more somehow?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Community!

You can have up to six information fields per tab, and you can add additional tabs to the Character Sheet by following these steps:

1. Open a Character Sheet, and click the ‘Edit Sheet’ button on the top-right corner.
  2. Click the ‘+’ -icon on at the end of the tabs.
  3. Rename the tab, and add names to the fields in the tab.

When you are done, click on the ‘Accept Sheet Changes’ -button on the top-right corner.

Here’s a quick video on it:

add tabs to Character Sheets

Let me know if you have any questions! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Sam! I figured out how to add tabs, but I was hoping to be able to put 8-10 fields in a tab. As an example, when I’m writing, I set up personality profiles for my characters with the following info: Enneagram, Core Belief, (Emotional) Fears, (Emotional) Desires, Behavior, Missed Message, Message Received, Reacts with, Primary Emotion, Stress & Security. I can combine some of those, but I’ll still be hard-pressed to get those down to only 6 fields to put them all on the same tab. And keeping many of those in their own fields would allow me to manipulate the database in order to view my character pairings in different ways that help me deepen & ultimately resolve conflict in the story.

The Papyrus Author database is one of the features that most attract me to the app. I love the idea of being able to keep all of this info inside a project using one app instead of jumping from Scrivener to Notion to Aeon Timeline, etc. I’m excited about figuring out the possibilities (and limitations) of putting this database feature to full use.

That’s a cool way to use them! The Character Sheets are a new feature in Papyrus Author, so it’s exciting to hear how they are being utilized. :slight_smile:

I can see how it’d be great to have more fields per tab in a case like this. As of now there are no plans to add more fields to tabs, but if we find there’s more interest in it, we could look into adding it in the future.

Great to hear you’re enjoying it. You can also check out the Wiki article on the Character Sheets to see if there’s something you’ve not tried out yet, for example, the Location and Item sheets: The Character Sheets

If the character sheets are too limited for your needs, you can always switch to classic database forms which can have any number of fields you like. Open the My Characters database in your project and then activate the toolbar button »Database form instead of Sheets«. Adding fields can be done under Database > Field properties and the database form can be edited after that like any regular Papyrus document.

2 Likes

I would definitely be interested in being able to add more fields to tabs.

Ooh, thank you so much for this tip! I’ll have to play with classic database forms. If I can create forms that mirror what I use in my paper plot journal, that would speed up data entry when I sit at my computer.

Yes, more tabs would be great! In my case I have to youse the character sheets to follow the lines of developed thought not just characters as I’m writing a philosophical novel and I can’t search the comments. The same subjects are approached from different angles in different chapters so it is becoming hard to keep track after 250 pages.

oh, and I have to find out what classic data base forms are …