Error saving document - Operation timed out

I’ve been using Papyrus Author+ for a while now and I absolutely adore it. I’ve run into an issue, though.
I tried to save my work but it comes up with this message:

Error saving document [file location]
Operation timed out
Retry access?

Of course, I have tried several times to retry but the message keeps coming up. What can I do to fix this?
Thank you!

Hey @Chants_B, welcome to the Community!

That’s awesome :heart: I’m always interested to hear which features you find useful and what’s there to improve!

The error message means, that Papyrus Author doesn’t have rights to save into the destination. Essentially, Papyrus Author tries to save your document, but your computer’s access rights or firewall rule doesn’t allow it.

The solution depends on what system you are using (macOS or Windows), and whether you’re trying to save on your computer, or over the internet to your cloud storage:

:green_apple: On macOS

If you are trying to save into your computer, the issue may be your limited access to files and folders. A quick solution is to try and save the document into another location on your computer, for example, the Documents-folder, and see if that works.

If you find your user account doesn’t have the rights to save onto the location you want, you can refer to to this guide: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

Additional resources: Control access to files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

:window: On Windows:

Are you trying to save the file into your computer (the file location saying eg. “My Documents”, or “C:\ …”)?

For a quick fix, you can try saving into another location on your computer, for example the “Documents” folder, and see if saving works.

It may be, that the location you try to save into is one where Windows does not recommend saving, so you may need to add write-rights if you are not an administrator of the computer. For more info on access rights on Windows: Give Permissions to Files

Saving into a cloud storage

Depending on the cloud storage provider, you may need to add writing rights to your user account. If you let me know which service you use, I might be able to help further. :slight_smile:

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you so much! Everything’s working perfectly now and I’ve managed to save my work.

1 Like