How do you write challenging characters?

We take on the roles of our characters as we write them; a rescue diver :merman: in the morning, a race car driver in the evening! :checkered_flag:

How do you write challenging characters?

They might be challenging to write because they’ve lived through things you didn’t experience, acquired skills you’re not familiar with. Their personality might be different from yours, even downright detestable!

Do you approach your characters through research? :mag: Which of your characters did you “get” right away, and which did you struggle with?

I once gave up writing from the perspective of an ornery old lady who had been raised in Nazi Germany and survived the war as a young woman. Her life experience seemed so far away from my reality that I felt I couldn’t give her an authentic narrative voice.

Are there characters from whose perspective you couldn’t or would never want to write?

Actually, as a writer of speculative action adventures that’s quite a common problem for me :smiley: I do research on specific items, which has become much more available thanks to the internet, and I take situations and emotions I am familiar with, puff them up and translate them into my story world.

It can get tricky if this character is very different from me psychologically. I’ve always wondered what makes people act in complete disregard of other people’s well-being. I can approximate their situation, how they got there, and their train of thoughts, but it will always be superficial. Maybe the trick is to not overdo the introspection and focus on how they do what they do instead. How they take what we would think of as healthy reasoning and twist it into something we cannot relate to but fits their agenda. That is something we can observe from the outside, and that’s what prompts our emotions as readers. If I can hint at an underlying reason that’s a bonus to my mind.

1 Like

Interesting! Can you give me an example? What makes an action adventure speculative?

That is an important aspect I didn’t think about at all, thank you! Maybe it’s a good solution to describe the how and let the reader wonder about the why.

1 Like

My stories tend to have a supernatural or futuristic element or setting :slight_smile:

1 Like