I uploaded docx, but my formatting, page breaks and section breaks are missing

Operating System windows 10

Papyrus Author Version latest

I really want to use this product for character development and your editor is great! BUT, I imported my 355 pg complete book one,in the 6x9 fiction format and page numbers are all over the place. Page Breaks and my chapter section breaks are non-existent, and my 3 asterisk internal dividers are now numbers. HELP!!!

The .docx import is still fairly new in Papyrus and may not support all the features of Word that you need. If you can, try to save the document from Word in .doc or .rtf format and see if these will give better results.

What do you mean by that? Are they just in the wrong position on all pages or are they in varying positions? I would delete the page numbers and re-create them. Just make sure that there is a footer area (Document > Layout > Footer Area) in your document and then double click near the bottom of a page, click in the footer text box, right-click there and select “insert page number”. Format the # placeholder as needed. Then click in the grey main text box to get back to text editing.

Did you use heading styles in Word to mark the beginning of chapters or the “section break” feature of Word? Section breaks as used in Word are an unknown concept in Papyrus, so you may have to go through the document and apply the needed chapter styles.

If the dividers share the same unique style, then this should be easy to fix by editing the “format description” of the divider style at Paragraph > Styles > Enumeration/Table of Contents > Format description. Delete the text that might be there and replace it with * * *.

Hi glucose,

Thanks for the tips. I’m slogging through the re-format. One question…only my page numbers are showing. Any tips on getting the even ones to show up?

Thanks,

Sue

Sounds like you have separate odd and even pages. Double click the one you’re seeing which will take you to the master pages. You will probably see the master page Standard (for left pages). Then scroll down until you see the next master page Standard (for right pages) and check its description in the grey text box. Add the page number placeholder to the footer area and then click in the grey text box to go back.