Images below chapter headings

Windows 10

Papyrus Author Version 11.06

Papyrus is driving me a bit crazy at the moment. I’m trying to format my ebook. Like in my print version, I want a little image after each chapter title. It’s the same image every time. For the print version I just anchored it to the page, centered it and used the same distance from the top of the page every time.

If I do it like that for the ebook version it always end up above the chapter number and title. If I anchor it to the paragraph, it looks good in the preview, but when I then export the file and look at it with an ereader app like Aquila or put it on my Tolino reader, it is not centered anymore. Also, the size differs massively from reader to reader. My Tolino accepts the percentage of page width to size it correctly, which is great, but the app does not and makes it huge instead.

If, on the other hand, I try to anchor it as character with width and height, both readers get the placement right, but the graphic ends up really tiny, much smaller in comparison to the header text than it looks in the document.

What is the best way to anchor the image and set the sizes so that it is compatible with most devices and apps?

Also, if I use the same graphic for every chapter, is there a way to prevent it from being embedded 18 times? It’s not a big graphic, but it still blows up the file size. I think the cleanest way would be to put the graphic in css in the “:after” directive for the heading, but I don’t know how to link to the file then.

Hi Capella,

it would seem to me that assigning a certain area on the page by measurements will cause issues with eBook-readers regardless because the user will change the sizing of the fonts and images to their liking.

My go-to procedure is to anchor the image as ‘character with width and height’ so it behaves like any other character. Then place the cursor before or behind the image and assign a style to the paragraph that I copied from my standard paragraph style and only changed the justification to ‘centered’.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, joey.

The “character with width and heigth” didn’t work so well for me, the image ended up in totally different sizes on different e-readers and in apps. But I changed it to “character with width” now and for some reason that seems to work better.