Multiple headers for chapter

Please help!
I have had this problem for a long time now but can’t find a solution, so just kept writing.

I need to have an additional title line over the one with the chapter number:

Day 1
Chapter 1

and another line for a quote underneath.

It seems impossible to have Day 1 over the Chapter 1, no matter what I tried.
Even happened that when I deleted the “chapter 1” title line with back space to try something new, it deleted all the text of the whole chapter and I was in bits.

Because Papyrus Author considers everything under the Chapter heading as part of the chapter, it is not possible to directly add an independent text line above the chapter heading, and for it to be considered part of the chapter.

I will take a closer look if there is a workaround solution for this. :slight_smile:

If you want to have a consistent style for quotes underneath the chapter lines, you can create a new text style for them by following these steps:

1. Format a quote the way you want it to look throughout your book.
  2. Select the quote, and click on the ‘Style’ dialog icon.
  3. Select all the settings you wish to have for quotes (Font size, paragraph formatting, text effects if they are used)
  4. Give the new style a name, and click ‘new’.

→ Now every time you want to format a paragraph as a quote, you can simply select the style from the style dialog.

Here’s an animation to illustrate the steps:

Animation

This behavior sounds very peculiar, and actions in the chapter heading area should not delete any text.

Is it possible you pushed Enter in front of a chapter heading? Pushing enter will create a new chapter in front of the current chapter, and move the current chapter a page down in the document. Here is a quick animation of how it looks:

Animation

I will look into this further, as we take any possibilities of loss of work very seriously.

Let me know if you have any further questions! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your answer! Very helpful and the animations also help a lot!
Would be great if you find a way to have another title line over the numbered chapter line. It is not unusual, there are many books that have that.
Re the deleted chapter:
I had some extra lines under the chapter + number line. The I used backspace to get rid of those extra lines. I wasn’t sure if they are all gone so kept going upwards and suddenly it had deleted the chapter line - and the whole chapter was gone. It took me a while to notice this and I got into a right state as “undo” didn’t fix it. Since then I constantly watch the number of words total just to make sure nothing happens.

1 Like

Thank you for the extra details. I will look into this! :mag:

You could try to use a “soft line break” (in WIN, this would be done with Shift + Enter), as the chapter format is then continued to the second line, i.e. both lines are the chapter header.

For the Quote underneath the chapter header but above the chapter text, create the extra format as @Sam suggested.

1 Like

Thank you @Alex.Sassland! This is a great way to add the additional title line to the chapter header.

This method works for most chapter heading styles, but does not work for the most common Papyrus Author heading style “Chapter Numbered”. This is because Papyrus Author names the headings automatically to “Chapter 1”, “Chapter 2”, Chapter 3” and so on.

If you want to use this method with numbered chapters, you can change the Heading styles to standard ‘Chapter’ first by following these steps:

1. Select a chapter heading.
  2. Open the ‘Style’ dialog, and change the style from ‘Chapter numbered’ to ‘Chapter’.

The automatically-created chapter name will disappear, so you can re-write it.

1. Now you can add the secondary title line to the chapter. You can separate the Day and Chapter lines with Shift + Enter key combination.

Here’s an animation of the process:

animation

Alright - doesn’t work in the sequence @babette wants to have it, but if you go with

Chapter 1
Day 1

then it works just fine. Chapters here are counted automatically, days are not.

You could also make a copy of the numbered chapter header to read “Day 1” instead of “Chapter 1” and then continue with soft line break and a second line to the chapter header.
This way, the days would be counted, but the chapters need to be typed in and won’t change when switching day-chapters around (as will the days).

Same thing with @Sam’s way - standard chapter headers don’t change when switched to another place in the text.

Thank you so much, both of you!
I will try to fiddle with this some more.
And yes, for my sequence Alex’ suggestion doesn’t work. In my case I need to have the numbered day over the numbered chapter line because within a day (there are only 7 in the book) are several chapters each.
Re: “You could also make a copy of the numbered chapter header to read “Day 1” instead of “Chapter 1” and then continue with soft line break and a second line to the chapter header.
This way, the days would be counted, but the chapters need to be typed in and won’t change when switching day-chapters around (as will the days).”
I would have to do that to see what this is about, bit abstract for now. I’m very worried to experiment because of my previous experience. Will maybe try in an old back-up copy.
I suggest it would be great for programming the easy facility for title lines over the chapter line. Something so simple shouldn’t be a problem for users. As I mentioned before, there are many books like that.

1 Like

Any news regarding a solution? I can’t go with reversing it to Chapter 1, Day 1, it must be the other way round. Thanks.

How is your document structured? Like this with the day count depending on the chapter count:

Day 1 – Chapter 1
Day 2 – Chapter 1
Day 3 – Chapter 1

Day 1 – Chapter 2
Day 2 – Chapter 2
Day 3 – Chapter 2

or more like this, with a continuous day count independent of the chapter count:

Day 1 – Chapter 1
Day 2 – Chapter 1
Day 3 – Chapter 1
Day 4 – Chapter 2
Day 5 – Chapter 2
Day 6 – Chapter 2

Hi,
It’s :
Day 1
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
etc.

Day 2
Chapter & No.
etc.

Day 3
Chapter & No.
etc.

There are 7 days
and each day has several chapters.

Have a look at the attached document. I created three styles for “Day”, “Day Quote”, and “Day Chapter”. Day and Day Chapter will appear in the Navigator (and also in a table of contents if you create one).

Chapters are numbered per day, so each new day would reset the chapter number to 1. If you don’t want this to happen and chapters should be numbered irrespective of the day, you need to change the format description in the Day Chapter style: click on a day chapter heading, open Paragraph > Styles, click on Enumeration/Table of Contents and change [ 1 ] into [ Y ] in the format description field. Apply.

Day-Quote-Chapter.pap (3.9 KB)

2 Likes