Preference file error

*Windows 10

Papyrus Author pro latest build
my author papyrus program will not open - I get this error: Error reading Preferences file C:\Users\ivy\AppData\Roaming\Papyrus
Author\Papyrus.ini:
Preferences file has an unknown file format.
I Can’t find how to fix it - help please

1 Like

This error message refers to a problem with Papyrus Author’s Preferences file called Papyrus.ini. The problem may be caused by to an interruption during a saving process, or Papyrus Author temporarily losing access to the Preferences file. Here are steps to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Navigate to the destination detailed in the error message (C:\Users\ivy\AppData\Roaming\Papyrus Author) by copying the path to your Windows File Explorer and pressing ‘Enter’
video

ini

1. Rename the file ‘Papyrus.ini’ to something else by right-clicking on it, and selecting ‘Rename’
  2. After the Preferences file has been renamed, launch Papyrus Author

→ Papyrus Author will create a new Preferences file, and Papyrus Author will launch normally.

If you want to, you can attach the old Papyrus.ini file here, and we can inspect it and see what caused the issue. You can attach the file to your reply by just dragging and dropping a file to the reply field.

Let me know how it goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since the ini file cannot be repaired by the user nor by Papyrus itself, wouldn’t it make sense that Papyrus give the option to use default settings and run anyway, instead of refusing to start at all? It could even tell the user that the old ini file is broken and had to be renamed.

If the user has a backup copy of the ini file, they can still replace the newly generated ini file later on.

1 Like

This is a great improvement idea, and I will send it to the development team! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Guys,
I just had this problem and yes thanks for the instructions but a couple of tweaks. My file wasn’t called Papyrus.ini, rather it was PapyrusUser. I had to turn on Show Hidden in the Windows Explorer View menu before I could even navigate to my AppData folder. I also had to turn on View Extensions.

I agree that it would be really nice to have the option to either open with default, or repair file.

Thanks heaps for what overall is an awesome product.
Chris Parfoot

1 Like