Recap: The Eighth Writing Week of Turning Tales

This week’s topic was: Research as Inspiration

If you found a chest of Spanish doubloons, the remnants of a sunken treasure … you wouldn’t be allowed to keep any of it:

In prior international court rulings, Spain has successfully argued that the gold lost by the Spanish fleets from long ago, still belongs to Spain. Just because the gold is on the bottom of the sea does not mean that Spain has lost possession.

Some of the shiny facts we dug up from our search histories were really sobering. But then the eighth week’s Turning Tales thread is also full of applicable life advice.

When you need to get rid of a body … bury the corpse vertically, as search crews and police will be looking for recently disturbed ground about 6 foot in width.

And if you find yourself in Toronto, Ontario, thinking about dragging a dead horse down Yonge Street, check your calendar first. You can’t do it on a Sunday. There’s a law. The conscientious thing to do is to hold on to your horse corpse for another day or take a detour, presumably. :horse:

Whatever we’re working on – after each new piece we know more than before. New knowledge, in turn, inspires new stories. :writing_hand:

The eighth week’s Turning Tales thread is now closed.

You can no longer post your own entry. But you still have a whole week to give Likes to the entries you love. :books: :books: :books:

The submission that gets the most books :open_book: will be celebrated with a full year of Papyrus Author+. On top, we’ll give away another year of Papyrus Author+ to one of the participants at random.

On Tuesday, December 13th, you will find out if you won.

The ninth week of Turning Tales starts today, and this week, we’re getting into a fight. :facepunch: Or maybe we just shake our heads disapprovingly.

How did you like the eighth week’s topic?

Did you know right away what you would write about or did you have to dig for a while? Do you write non-fiction often? And do you find it easy? What worked best for you as a reader – what makes a good non-fiction read? And which of these facts will stay with you for a long time?

1 Like

I like a good bit of fiction, but, generally, I write non-fiction. I write science for non-scientists, sermons, prayers and church services. I enjoy science more than the arts, though I am an artist (watercolour and pottery) as well as a scientist (astrophysics and oceanography). I used to do all sorts of things when I was working, including teaching pre-school for children who spoke no English, so wrote little, simple stories for them. To me, a good non-fiction read is something that can be relatively easily understood by the audience for which it is written, without being patronising. For my midwifery students, I found that a plethora of diagrams made the text more easily understood. There is challenge in getting the levels right.

1 Like