Syncing between devices

Is there a way to sync Papyrus Author between desktop and laptop?

I usually type on my desktop. Husband gifted me with a Lenovo that I use Windows for writing. Thanks for all help!

Hello, welcome to the Community!

The best way to sync your documents between two computers is using the Cloud Saving function.

Papyrus Author does not save the documents inside the software or user account, but on your computer’s hard drive. You can set Papyrus Author to save the documents into your favorite Cloud storage service, and access them on the second computer from there.

For cloud saving, you need a cloud storage service, such as OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox.

Here is a tutorial video on setting up Cloud: Backups: Saving with Incremental & Automatic Backups

And additionally a wiki article on Cloud: Using a Cloud With Papyrus Author

You can find the Cloud settings by navigating ‘Options’ → ‘Preferences’ and selecting ‘Cloud’ under ‘Documents’.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and have fun writing with Papyrus Author! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your quick and informative advice. I don’t mean to be a pain but l have another question.
On my desktop l have the software editing program called Grammarly which l use with all my writing projects but can’t incorporate into Papyrus Author as l do Word. Papyrus. Author is amazing (need to get that out there) but l have a problem with basic punctuation sometimes which it doesn’t readily address in the correction format (unless l overlooked it in the Manual)….what can l do, please? Thanks!

Grammarly doesn’t have an add-in for Papyrus Author available, but you can export documents from Papyrus Author to Word files with a few clicks by navigating ‘File’ → ‘Publish’ → ‘Word.docx’.

Here’s a tutorial video on it: Exporting Papyrus Documents to Word

If you have some example sentences where punctuation isn’t addressed, we can look into it and improve the behavior in the future. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your expedited response to both questions. I tried your first example and yes, works great! The second statement regarding punctuation has also been solved by the first example.
Again, great customer service. Have a great weekend!!!

1 Like

Do you have a version that works on Android tablets. I love this program for writing but I have been doing all my writing on my tablet because it’s easier to travel. I have went back to word because of this. Please please consider making a version that works on tablets if it is not already in the works.

Hello, welcome to the Community!

We are working it, but there is no official release date yet. :slight_smile:

Hi Sam… I have a new laptop - is there a way of moving whole projects over or do the files link into the right projexct automatically? I have a whole load of research and characters, settings, items etc for the book I’m in the middle of and I need them to all come across to my new computer and link up as they do in the old one. Both are Windows.

If you move the project folder to your new computer or cloud storage, the database connections and links will work in the new location as well. :slight_smile:

You can open your project folder by navigating ‘File’ → ‘Open Other’ → ‘Show folder with this Document’.

Thanks so much, Sam - that works a treat!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I seem to be having the same problem. I just got a new Mac, and I have taken the advice here by saving to Dropbox and then reopening it on my new Mac. However, my entire format is different, and my characters and other things that were linked to my document are no longer linked. I have over 100 characters that I’ve developed and I have put a lot of time into using what this software has to offer, and I am really frustrated. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. Perhaps there’s something I’m missing?

Hello, welcome to the Community! :slight_smile:

Papyrus Author stores the characters in a separate database file called ‘My Characters’. This database is located in your document’s project folder.

There are two possible causes for this issue; the ‘My Characters’ folder is not in the same destination as your document, or the link to the ‘My Characters’ database has been severed. Here are steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Open your document, and navigate ‘Author’ → ‘My Characters’ → ‘Path to My Characters’
  2. If the field is empty, or does not point to the ‘My Characters’ database, click on ‘Select…’ and navigate to the ‘My Characters’ folder and select ‘My Characters.pb’.
  3. Click ‘Apply’.

If the ‘My Characters’ database is not available on your Dropbox, you can find it in your old Mac by following these steps:

1. Open your document in Papyrus Author.
  2. Navigate ‘File’ → ‘Open Other…’ → ‘Show Folder with this document’.
  3. Copy the ‘My Characters’ folder to your project folder in Dropbox.

Could you take a screenshot of your document, so I could better understand how the format is different, or how it should look?

How to take a screenshot

Use the snipping tool or screenshot tool to take a photo of the problem by following these instructions:

For Windows: Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots

For macOS: Take a screenshot on your Mac

You can attach images to your post by simply dragging and dropping them into the reply field.

Let me know how it goes! :slight_smile: