TOC Word Spacing Problems

I have eleven chapters in my table of contents. Ten of the chapter listings show up as they should. One seems to have lost the spaces between words. Below is a screen grab of the Chapter Heading (style H1), and the TOC.

I have checked to make certain that the same style is used for each chapter heading, and have deleted and reentered the chapter heading that’s causing the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @chuck!

This is an unusual one. :thinking:

Those would be my first troubleshooting steps as well! :grin:

Have you checked that the misbehaving chapter heading has the same style as the others in the Table of Contents itself? It could be that the chapter heading is fine, but the reference to it in the Table of Contents has a weird style.

If that’s not it, you can also send me a .pap file with this Table of Contents in it, and I’ll take a closer look! :male_detective::mag_right:

Does this happen too if you change the font used for the TOC? I suspect there might be something wrong with the current font.

1 Like

Hello, Sam.

As best I can tell, the misbehaving entry has the same style as the rest of the chapters. I’m attaching the .pap file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me semi-nuts.

Regards,

Chuck

Essential Worship.pap (225 KB)

Excellent! Thank you for the document. :clap:

It looks like the letter spacing of the misbehaving chapter heading is negative, and that’s causing the issue. It’s a quick fix - here’s how:

1. Select the misbehaving chapter in the Table of Contents.
  2. Go “Text” → “Spacing…”
    :bulb: You’ll notice the “letter spacing” and “extra space for words” values are negative.
  3. Change the spacing value to 0. (Other text in your book has value 0 as well)
  4. Click “apply”.

→ That should do it!

:building_construction: I skimmed over the book’s other text styles to see if there’s any other parts with the same problem, but it looks like this is the only one. :male_detective: :mag_right:

I didn’t find any direct reason for what could’ve caused this - did you bring the book over from Word or another writing program?

Hope this does the trick, and you’re back writing. Sorry for the headache it caused! :wrench:

By the way, if you don’t want to leave your document available here, you can delete it by editing your post. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Sam.

The TOC is pretty now.

Regards,

Chuck

1 Like

Just making a guess here:
The TOC was apparently formatted manually by inserting blank lines between each entry. Perhaps there was an attempt get the same effect by changing the spacing above or below a paragraph (which can be done at Paragraph > Advanced Paragraph Formatting) but instead the Text Spacing window was used which changes the spacing between characters.

1 Like

Hi, Glucose.

It was a loose nut between the keyboard and the chair. Somewhere along the way, I was trying to fit a line and reduced the spacing.

Thanks.

1 Like