Trouble with Page Headings

Operating System - Windows

Papyrus Author Version - Free

Hi! I’m having a little difficulty with my page layout. I have my title page and stuff and was able to remove the headers from those pages. But then, I start chapter 1. At the top of the page is my book title. I would like to remove the headers from ONLY the first page of each chapter. Is there a way to do this?

Oh, I figured it out. I’m going to put what I did here for anyone else having this problem. The key is to do this right before you are going to export it for publishing. Trying to do this before the final document may be a pain in the rear.

1. So first, I created a new type of page. I went to Page Layout --> Master Pages. Then, I copied Standard and changed the name to “New Chapter”, but you can call it whatever you want.

2. Then, I double clicked on a page and deleted the header from the odd and even pages named “New Chapter”.

3. I went to “Assign Page Range”. My Chapter 1 started on page one, so I changed the bottom to read: Page 1 to 1. Master Page: “New Chapter” (for both left and right). I left the New pages sections as same.

4. Chapter 2 started on page 6. So, I did the same thing for page 6 to 6. And I did this for each chapter.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the community!

That’s great you figured this out :+1:

Master pages can be changed as often as you like throughout your document and are a great way of ensuring a consistent format in situations like this.

If you haven’t seen this already, there’s more information on using master pages in our Wiki article here.

Is there a way to automate this? For example, every time I use, let’s say the style, Chapter Numbered, that that particular page uses my No Header master page. That way if my content shifts and the chapter starts on a different page, I don’t have to go back and redo everything.

Hello,

At the moment there is no way to link Master Pages with Paragraph Styles in this way. I can see how making it possible would be a great addition to Master Pages, and I will add it to our feature wish list! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!