Turning Tales Week 2: The Perfect First Sentence

Prompt

‘Dark … no utter blackness … lightening to charcoal … like when switching on a ultra hi-def TV waiting for connection to the internet.’ That was important … ultra hi-def … the fact that that term was still there. Though that won’t dawn on him till some minutes later … but then, Joe’s mind will be preoccupied with innumerable other things.

Opening of Ying, Yang and Sometimes Y

Pain all over thats what I feel as I wake up. I’m lying on the floor in my own blood soaked through my clothes. I’m trying to piece together what happened. Images start flashing fast in my mind as my breathing picks up. I remember Grayson coming home, dinner and wine on the table.

2 Likes

Prompt

The blood clung to her silver hair, painting the air around her with every turn of her head.

7 Likes

Prompt

Replace this text with your contribution

It was a dark days night, and the moon and sun caught the light.

5 Likes

I was doing my best to wake up, but it seemed to be taking an awful long time. As I inched closer and closer to being fully awake I also realized that my body was covered with all kinds of weird contraptions. …

3 Likes

Prompt

I noticed the barrel of the gun when I bent over to tie my shoe.

12 Likes

As he warily approached the anticipated ambush site, former commando sniper, Stoney Bourke, wondered whether he hadn’t been too lucky for too long.

1 Like

Prompt

"Get around on the other side,” Mara directed, sucking in air between each word. The marble shelf was too heavy to lift by herself, but she needed to see the face of her attacker for closure. Yet, it was only after looking into the killer’s eyes that her story truly began.

1 Like

Prompt

Replace this text with your contribution

Two career girls rooming together should be an easy situation. Not when one is a gossip columnist and the other is starting to make a name for herself as an actress.

2 Likes

Prompt

Maybe I was born this way or maybe my daddy taught me. He kept trophies of his kills in a curio cabinet in the living room. Tommy’s teeth, Heidi’s hair, Gary’s gum. You name it, Daddy kept it. I don’t keep trophies, I keep their gifts.

4 Likes

Silver saw the beads of sweat on the guard’s foreheads as the men pulled the groaning iron bars. If gates could talk they would have said “We are shut for the night”
Silver could taste the orange ferrous on his lips as he pushed his face hard against the barrier.
“My father’s killer is on the other side” he screamed at the gates.
The gates, however, being made of metal, remained blissfully unaware of Silver’s plight.

2 Likes

Prompt

Susan started her day by making coffee for her dad. She has been living and then working for him since the courts remove her and his half-sister Angel from her mom and stepdad.

2 Likes

Prompt

Liam always joked that our love was like taking a bite of a good Margherita pizza—the warmth of soft dough, mixed with freshness of basil leaves, sweetness of balsamic drizzles, and tartness of tomatoes–a simple, yet nostalgic concoction.

1 Like

This is my worst nightmare…what a creepy beginning! Fantastic!

3 Likes

This makes me curious!!! I want to know the rest of the story!

1 Like

Prompt

Months left to my own thoughts, it was surprising that I had not gone mad with joy.

3 Likes

Prompt

His heart was racing, his blood pulsing fast and loud in his ears. Everything was going sideways all at once, and he just had to keep moving. If he stopped too long, he’d start to think…and thinking, at least right now, meant death.

1 Like

Prompt

Cecelia lay flat on the damp ground and looked helplessly at the landscape below. The surrounding trees provided some protection from being seen on the hilly outcrop, but she didn’t want to take any chances.

1 Like

Prompt

Nice suits. Big houses. Expensive cars. Maybe even private jets…

Pure glamour. That’s how we are seen.

Burn-out, alcohol and / or drug addictions. Overworked. No time with their family. Constant exposure to stress. Suicidal thoughs.

That is my reality, each day, every day.

I’m Jane. I’m a lawyer. It’s 10 pm on a Saturday evening.

And I am still in my office, with, as sole companion, the bottle of over-expensive whiskey I have been flirting with for a while now.

1 Like

“Cannonball!” Cole hollered as he dived into the deep blue of the Aegean ocean.

The spray reached high enough to splash Callie who screamed as the large spots soaked through the pages of her book that she had previously been trying to enjoy in peace whilst developing a golden tan.

“You are so dead when I catch you!” she yelled over the side of the boat.

(Opening of Chapter 1 from Callie and Cole’s Ancient Greek Adventure By Lia Nicholson)

1 Like