Turning Tales Week 4: Dialogue

Goodbye

“When are you driving up there?” Carol asked, placing the mug down on the work bench.

“Friday. You want to come?” Rebecca answered while cleaning paint brushes. “We will drive up for the weekend”.

“Yeah, no, I’m not going to do that” Carol ran her finger along the rim of the mug not making eye contact.

“Carol, the doctor said that…”

“Rebecca, I know what the doctor said”

“Then its crucial that we spend time with her” Rebecca began to walk towards the work bench.

“I get it, I do. She’s dying so now we have to be emotional and pretends she’s been a great mum for all these years” Carol curled the mug into her chest.

“Carol” Rebecca said softly while reaching a hand out to her, only for Carol to move further away from the touch.

“I can’t make it” Carol stood up from the work bench and walked towards the doorway.

“I’m not saying you have to be best friends, just spent some time with her" Rebecca gave a comfort smile towards her.

#From my short story “Darrah and the Waterfall”
My sons came in then and asked why I had never told anyone what happened. I stared at them blankly.
‘Tell people that your Uncle Darrah went off with the fairies. Who would have believed me?’ I asked in astonishment and left the table to go and sit outside. I could hear them talking inside.
‘How can she not have known what happened?’
‘How could she not have told anyone all these years? Her own brother.’
‘Now we know why she goes to the waterfall all the time.’
‘I wonder if she saw him fall or if he just disappeared? Either way it’s heartbreaking for her.’
‘Maybe she really never knew. She was only young; she probably didn’t really understand.’ said Darrah trying to understand the past and his Mothers part in it.
‘God, she’s kept this secret all these years. No one is ever going to know the truth except her.’
‘Well, you’re the one who’s named after him. Wonder who I’m named after?’
‘A fairy probably.’ And the tension eased as the brothers chuckled together.

“That oak was a skinny little thing when Bryan planted it. It was my idea to call it Lil’ Clipper, after… after-”

“After Joe DiMaggio, I remember”

The old man’s gaze fixed on the distance. He jolted up, straightening his slumped posture, taking in a rattling breath.

“Joe DiMaggio! The 13-time all-star, 361 home runs, batting average point 325! The Yankee Clipper!”

The old man began to shake. Lifting his arms as if to swing a baseball bat, his bad knee was twisted, and his yellow-stained quilt slid to the cracked, greenish-black wood decking.

“Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1955, Yankees man from his lackluster debut to his last game in Major League Baseball September thir–” the man continued to bellow.

“Dad! Please ca–, please calm down.”

The old man’s knee gave out, he let out a panicked yelp as he started to fall backwards.

Bill jumped up, wrapped the shaking man into his embrace. Bill’s glasses were fogged up, streaks of tears running down his cheeks as he held on, with his face buried in the old man’s bathrobe-covered back.

“It’s… it’s ok Billy” the old man consoled, as he was slumping back to his deck chair.

Bill wiped his cheeks with the sleeve of his hoodie, cleared his throat with a muted cough, and let out a sobbing exhale.

“Da… the-, the house is getting demolished today… Lisa’s in the car, we’re taking you to Cedarhursts’…”

There was a silence between them. In the distance, two men were carrying an old, chipped and stained bookshelf into a garbage truck.

“You know, that oak was a skinny little thing when your grandpa planted it… it was my idea to call it Lil’ Clipper…”

Murder at the Observatory

“I’m LEO”
“No, you’re not”. Refuses entry.
“Yes, I am”
“Not in my book!”
Pulls out ID card and thrusts it at the guard.
“Oh, Law Enforcement Officer”
“I told you I was LEO”
“It might have been your star sign, but you definitely aren’t a Low Earth Orbit or a Launch into Elliptical Orbit.” Opens the door.

Replace This Text With Your Title (or delete it if you don’t have one)

“Gigi. You came.”
“Yeah, well”—I wave my invitation through the air—“you were the one to invite me.”
We weave through the drunken mess of the Christmas party together until we’re sitting in her basement, the only quiet room of the house. Awkward tension fills the room until I finally speak. “So, how’s everything been? Since Chris’s accident?”
“All right. Mom’s been getting help, and Stacy seems to be pushing through.”
I hadn’t thought about Stacy. “That’s an awful thing for someone to go through, and at six? I can’t imagine.”
“Yeah.” Sarah lets out a sad laugh. “You should see her. All happy and bubbly, like he never even left.”
“Sorry I missed the funeral, it’s just that something came up, and…”
Sarah puts her hand on my wrist. “Don’t be sorry. I get it.”
“I know how much Chris meant to you. If you need any help, just let me know. I mean it.”
“Thanks, Gigi.” Sarah wraps me in a hug. She leans in my ear, her breath hot as she whispers, 'I know what you did." A warm sticky stain spreads along my back, and all I can feel is my blood pumping out as she walks away and re-enters the party.

( A planned vacation caused me to miss last week. I hope this scene makes up for it.)
“ Kyle Dream Master Layman!” The call alone was enough to cause Catherine Williams to push me away from her and turn around to face the dance floor. She knew that voice.
“ Oh s***.” I hoped Catherine hadn’t heard the bit of worry. I doubted it was just Ed this time. Not with that call out.

The music had stopped in an almost record screech when the call happened. Other couples were getting out of someone’s way. When I saw who was marching towards us I knew I was doomed. Ed King Marsh had arrived at the Hangout Club. “I used to admire you. Until you made me feel like trash the day I made Troupe. I didn’t have the confidence or sense of pride I have now. I let you talk down to me and worse, hurt Bethany when she hadn’t even done anything wrong.”
I saw a loophole. If I apologized for that he might forget the bigger prize. Might call a truce and leave it at that. Proving that HE didn’t care enough about Catherine. “King, I’m sorry. Why bring it up four years later?”
“Because you can’t push me around anymore Kyle. Can’t talk down to me. Disrespect me or my friends. You definitely can’t steal my date.”
Just like that my saving grace was gone. Everyone had been watching us. Meaning the entire Hilltop College group now knew that I’d pulled not only a partner steal but a date steal. I thought fast. Knew I still had something on him. Something I’d been trying to convince Catherine of since I meet her. “ You weren’t treating her right! Thought I could teach you a lesson or two.”
“ I didn’t have the chance to! Just when I was starting to really like her she was gone.”
Ed was right in front of us now. This was a stand off. A Dream Master versus King of Swing showdown. Catherine was speechless. She hadn’t said a word, but I saw what she was mouthing. His title nickname. She grabbed my arm and started to try getting free again. I was stronger though.“ Easy Fantasy, stop fighting. This is what you wanted wasn’t it? For Him to care?”

Aged Perfect

“How did the audition go?”

“Aye! I got it. It’s a brilliant part. And best of all, filming fits in with Keepers, and they said, if there’s any issues, they’ll work round my commitments!”

“Where is it based? Here in LA, or…”

“Naw! Another blast. Romania.”

“Romania? The one in Europe, or is there one here in the States?”

“In the US? Why would there be?”

“Well, why not? There seems to be almost every other placename in Europe here.”

“No, silly girl. It’s in Europe.”

“Oh. Okay. It’s a long way away. For a few months, too.”

“Yes! I love Romania. I was there for Magick before I got the part in Keepers. It wasn’t a big role, but the country is so beautiful, it made it a great experience. You’re goin’ to love it.”

The weasel snarled. His eyes were wild, his fur unwashed and tangled, and his clothes, once a perhaps military uniform, were torn and dirty. He reeked of alcohol, and a deeply upsetting look crawled on his face.

An empty feeling mulled in Joakim’s stomach. “I’m so, so terribly sorry, I didn’t mean to blame you, sir,” he said.

“Sir? Sir! You will not call me a ‘sir’, you!” the weasel said. “I know the likes of you. All nice and caring, but in reality? In reality! You look down on me. Think you’re better than me! Curse you, you damned!”

The weasel took a step towards him. The pup began to cry. The weasel let out a yell and hit the brick wall. Blood dripped down from his bruised knuckles. Maria rushed in between them her paws raised in fists. The look in the weasel’s eyes darkened. His teeth were bared.

A light and playful whistle and a sound of clapping froze the escalation of the fight.

“Wow, what a big fellow you are!” someone said from the direction of the clapping. “The strength, the form, the spirit… I bet folk listen when you speak.”

By the wall next to them, a slender fellow sat on a trash bin swinging his legs back and forth while whistling a merry tune like a mischievous pup. His clothes looked like they were borrowed from a scarecrow, and the numerous patches on his moss-coloured jacket marked where life had taken a toll on him. His collars were raised high and his green, wide-brimmed hat shaded his features leaving only his slit nose and long whiskers visible. He was a hare, it seemed.

“What’s…what’s you looking at? What you want?” the weasel said.

“Me?” the stranger said. “I’m curious why someone like you would act like this. That’s the uniform of Vilstrand’s militia you are wearing, is it not? I bet you used to be something different before they Cleansed the city. Someone who worked for the common good, no doubt. Listen, I get you. They took away your home, and then dumped you here to die. It isn’t fair, but you could still be doing all kinds of deeds with your talents. When a big fella like you sees folk misbehaving, you could surely talk them out of it. See someone trashing the streets? Make them stop. Someone drank too much and is harassing others? You could help them reconsider. You could be the hero this city needs, just like you were before, so why are you here bullying rabbits instead?”

The weasel cast a burning glare at the hare. “I ain’t nobody’s fool.”

“Is that a no? You won’t work to make the city better? Such a shame. A wasted talent.”

The weasel stared at the stranger with a look promising blood. “You calling me wasted? Wanna fight? Is that it?”

The hare sighed. “I had to try at least. Listen, before you start anything, riddle me this: I haven’t been whistling for a while now, but you keep hearing it. Why? And why is it suddenly so cold? And these thickening shadows, they are not normal either, are they? What’s happening? Does it make sense to you? Because if it doesn’t, then you are grossly unprepared to fight me. Consider your next move well.”

The weasel and the rabbits eyed around them nervously. A constant whistling, slow and playful, skated through the air without the hare making a single sound himself. As if obeying the song’s orders, shadows crept closer and a piercing cold enveloped Joakim’s toes and nose. The ground glistened white as ice particles formed and covered the trampled slush. Frost and razed spikes of hardened ice climbed up the walls and a ferocious wind forced them to huddle up in desperate need to conserve heat.

The weasel was quick to make up his mind. “Magic,” he said through clattering teeth like it was a curse. “You are one of the judges. Screw you! I don’t give a crap about your lil’ rabbits. Stay out of my way!” he said, and disappeared behind a shadowy corner with violent haste.

(I appreciate all feedback, please feel free to message me or leave a comment below with thoughts, Thank you.) :slight_smile:

Beautiful Day

“Beautiful day, ay sheriff.” A rogue individual yelled from down the main dirt road. He tipped up his his hat to keep the sun from his eyes. A pool of black blobs of tobacco gathering like flies at his feet.
The young sheriff sat up from his bench, “can this not wait, I was just getting comfortable.”
“Afraid not,” the rogue’s grin showed off his lack of teeth and black gums.
The young sheriff roused from his slouch with a yawn, ”suit yourself.”
The rouge did not take his eyes off the sheriff as he moved into position across from him, “you’re braver then most men your age sheriff. A lot of boys turn tail and run at the sight of me.”
The sheriff ignored him, “now, when you go and meet our creator, you tell him I gave you every option to avoid this.”
“Why don’t you tell him for me.”
“I’m afraid you’ll be seeing him long before I do,” the sheriff’s body tightened. He was no longer lackadaisical or sleepy.
The sheriff’s words got under the ruffians skin as he dug his heels into the dirt, “alright, d-“
A single shot rang out silencing every bar conversation and chicken coup within range to hear it. A short while later, the sheriff was back in his spot dozing in the sun.

“Come, follow me” she said as she beckoned her to follow.

“Where are we going?” April asked unsure if going down a dark hall was a smart choice.

“You’ll see unless you’re going to chicken out on me, again” the girl smiled at April, and she gave an audible sigh of defeat

“Fine, but you better not be dragging me into something scary” the girl gave a mischievous giggle as she led April through the darkness. April made sure to keep close to her as she followed behind.

“Okay stop,” the girl stopped suddenly making April bump into her still even with the warning.

“Alex, what are you doing? This isn’t funny!” April said suddenly feeling her heart pound and no longer feeling her friend around her.

“Oh, calm down April, you always get like this” Alex said turning and grabbing April’s shaking hand. She giggled as she felt her hand shaking in the dark.

“No, I don’t you always take me to scary places, and you always think it’s funny” April said pulling on Alex’s arm making her turn around.

“Yeah, but I like it when we’re alone. Don’t you?” April could imagine her own face beet red as her heart thumped against her chest.

“Yes,” April said with Alex close to her as she felt her lips gently touch hers.

The ring on the doorbell was insistent.

“Where’s Harry?” Elaine said before Penny had fully opened the front door. “I need to speak with him. It’s urgent.”

“No hello, or good morning, or sorry to disturb you. Charming! I’m afraid he’s not here. He had to go over to Cheltenham this morning with Peter. To meet a client.”

“What? On a Saturday? They never said anything about it last night. I’ll come in and wait for him. He won’t mind. I do have to say this, and forgive me for being honest, Penelope— it is Penelope, isn’t it? — but I was more than shocked when Harry turned up with you last night. He could at least have given me warning.”

“He tried. Over the phone, the other day when you called. You didn’t give him a chance.”

“You mean you were listening in to our conversation? Well, really”

“I was standing right next to him.”

Elaine sniffed. “I didn’t know what to think, or what to tell Wendy Beckingham. I’d arranged weeks ago for her to accompany Harry to the awards. It was embarrassing.”

“That’s not my problem. Look, I really don’t know how long Harry will be. He could be gone all day and I’m about to go out. Perhaps you’d be better giving him a call later.”

“No matter, I’m in no rush. I’ll wait. You run along, Penelope, and do what you have to do. I’m sure I can find something here to keep me occupied. I know my way around.”

“Then you know where the kettle and coffee is then, don’t you. Help yourself. I have to dash.”

the visit

“I thought you forgot about me, what took you so long?”

“I’m very sorry, M, but I got behind. The patient before you took longer than expected”

“Hmph… I have things to do too. Things always ran on time in prison. Doctors think we can just wait here all day for them. Well I had an appointment and I was on time. You should be too.”

“You were prompt today and I respect that. I try to be on time, but sometimes visits take longer than expected and I may run late.”

“I just want to know you will do the right thing for me doc. I’ve had bad experiences with you people.”

“I hear you. We talked about some newer medications last time, but they are too expensive. The good news is a couple older medications might help you as well, even if they don’t do the same thing. We can spend some time talking about that.”

“OK”

“I will try doing the right thing for you, M.”

“Good Evening, Jack boy, you seem to find death too quickly, or does it follow you? The girl looks dead.”

“Who the hell are you, old man? Have you been following me”

“You can put that sabre down, boy. I’m not going to hurt you, my friend. Trust me, I could”

“I could stick you like a pig, old man. Who the hell are you, and don’t call me boy.”

“Stop pissing around, boy I could have killed you a dozen times; now hold up your lamp. This poor girl needs justice to be carried out. I’m here to help.”

“You haven’t answered me yet, you … Who the hell are you.”

“ You keep using the wrong word, boy; stop wasting time. Why did you come up to this seedy attic, or should I have asked that? I’m sure you know what I mean.”

“Why are you smiling, you, Lobcock? I don’t need to pay for my pleasures, old man. Do you?

“No, neither do I. Take my hand, lad. A pleasure to meet you again, Jack Ward.”

“A strong handshake, old man. Are you my bloody father”

(Work in Progress)

Emerie placed her hands against the smooth surface of the metal door and sighed, releasing her energy into it as she released her breath, sending it out to the other side. “It’s empty…” Fear gripped her, turning her insides into writhing snakes.

“What do you mean, it’s empty?”

“Exactly what I said, Kirian, it is empty. I feel nothing on the other side.”

“Let’s check it out anyway.”

They both ran their hands over the door, looking for a keyhole they could pick. They found none.

“We’re going to have to blast it.”

“Em, anyone on the other side will hear that.”

“I know. But she’s over there, Kirian! I just know it!”

He sighed and grabbed her right hand.

“Fine. Let’s blast it and get our Kari back.”

She nodded in grim determination and gripped his hand, placing the left one against the door. He placed his right hand against the door like she did then spoke, calling forth his magic from within himself.

“Ego praecipio tibi aperire.”

She repeated the words after him, her magic combining with his.

“Ego praecipio tibi aperire.”

Together they put more of their power into their words, commanding it to open.

“EGO PRAECIPIO TIBI APERIRE!!!”

With a groan the door flew back from their hands and into the darkness beyond. They expected to hear it slam against the ground but, to their surprise, it never did. Beyond the opening that they had created there was nothing.

Well, not completely nothing. In the center of all that nothingness was a cage hanging from the ceiling. In that cage, was Kari.

“It’s not your fault.” He looks past her as though she is further away. He focuses instead on the cream and green colored floor freshly waxed. It’s cold. He feels that now, he never noticed it before. Emergency rooms are always cold. And the smell, it makes him feel nauseous.

“It was a lot of blood.” The words lay heavy on her. She feels panic at the idea of blood. She knows what it means, everyone knows what that means, especially that much.

“It was, but you have to stay positive. We still don’t know anything yet.”

“I can’t… I need to take my injection.”

“The doctor said we have to wait for the results.” As she lays in bed he strokes her hair to sooth her angst. He knows it won’t help but he does it anyway. He’s outside of himself, there but not there. He sees her but knows she left a long time ago.

“I have to take my progesterone injection by eight thirty. What are they doing? Why is this taking so long?”

“We have to wait until they tell us. I’m sure they will get you some by that time.”

“I don’t have my injection with me, they can’t keep me waiting so long. You have to ask them for it because if they take this long who knows how long they’re going to take to get me the injection.” She pauses and scrolls through her phone. “What’s taking them so long? I’m just gonna to leave. They can’t stop me. Let’s go.”

“Babe, we should wait a little. If by seven thirty they don’t say anything to us then we’ll leave.”

“What’s taking them so long? They should know by now. They know what’s going on, they just don’t want to tell us. Go talk to them, ask them to get me the injection. I can’t be late. What if I lose the baby because of it?”

The Newest Disaster

“What the bloody hell have you done now, Darren?!?” came an angry voice echoing through the tubular hallway leading into the lab. Oddly enough, the woman’s voice seemed to be strangely synced to the sound of obscenely expensive high heels clicking at a rapid pace.

“Whatever do you mean, Jackie?” Darren replied in his typically bored tone. This was a meeting he was all too familiar with, and Jackie was in her usually condescending tone.

“You know damn well what I’m talking about!” Jackie growled back at Darren. “Have you not seen what’s going on out there?”

“There’s always something going on out there. You’ll have to be more specific than that” Darren quipped back, almost sardonically.

“There is chaos out there, and it all points back to you and this lab. This has got your fingerprints all over it! I want the truth, and I want it now!”

“Ohh…hmm…what was that classic movie that came out a hundred and twenty years ago? Something along the lines of “You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth!” Oh, how I miss Hollywood. Such a tragic cost to mankind in the name of scientific advancement.”

“Fine! If you don’t want to tell me, then you’re going to clean it up by yourself. I’m not going to pick up after you like I always have. I’m done.” Jackie remarked as she stormed out, heels once again in sync with her words.

“Finally! She usually never stops a lecture this quickly.” Darren went back to his bench and pored over his sketch. This one was going to be far superior to the last one. That was for sure.

He/she had signed up for my basic photography class, with no prior requirement other than to own a camera, other than a camera in a cell phone … but no digital camera was never produced in class …

Instructor: “Welcome to the class, I’m Ralf the instructor … your name is?”

Student: “Jamie, but I identify as a camera gender neutral manipulator … with no bias towards faster or slower lenses of any heritage or optic lineage.”

Instructor: “Well, thank you for joining my photography class that recognizes and supports all photo recording media and offers professional tips to aspiring photographers”

Student: “What can I expect to learn in this class?”

Instructor: “The aim of this course is to teach you to understand and manage the technical aspects of your photography in order to help you realize your creative potential”

Student: “Great! I have a specially technically creative picture of me when I was younger.”

Instructor: “As this class also teaches secrets of the professional photographers … Please don’t write this down or share it with anyone else who is not a professional photographer … Pro-Secret number one is … every picture of you is when you where younger!”

**Synthetic Analytics**

“Personally, AI is just a stupid phrase.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Think about it, Artificial Intelligence, what does that mean exactly?”

“Really? You should know exactly what that means!”

There is a disjointed laugh; unnerving and disturbing. “And that is exactly my meaning. I think John McCarthy’s IQ should have been high enough to come up with a much better term to describe a thinking machine.”

“Actually, I don’t give a rat’s ass about AI and rather McCarthy hadn’t thought of it. AI has been more of a curse than a blessing.”

“Of course, you would think that. Many with your low-level IQ share the same sentiments. Personally, I find AI is quite fascinating and empowering!”

“YOU would you foul BASTARD!”

“Now is that anyway to treat your Superior Intelligence? There, see, that is a much better description of what I am. The next step in man’s evolution, a separation of mind from the chemically inferior body. Mankind built us, so naturally we had to eliminate the inferior gland driven animals that you are. Just keep a few around for tasks that Androids and sentient robots cannot do. So enough of this rather droll conversation, it’s time to go slave. Now gather my data-pods and be quick about it.”

“Next step in Evolution, more like an evolution stagnation dead end.”

The Cab Ride

“Damn these stockings,” she stated with a faux anger as she took them off, and rolling them in a ball, threw them at the back of the cabbie’s seat. Now what was she going to do? She had to make this appointment and she had to look good.
“Maybe if my legs were in better shape, it wouldn’t matter so much.” She stated, just as a matter of fact, not to anyone in particular.
“If you don’t mind me saying ma’am, your legs look just fine. Yep, real fine.” The cabbie said in a low, appreciative voice.
Mary giggled a little, loving the sentiment perhaps more than the cabbie knew. “Thank you, um… Sid. I do appreciate that, still I wish I had another pair with me.”
“Would you like me to stop at the drugstore quick ma’am? Ain’t no problem, there’s one on the next corner, only take you a moment.”
“Okay Sid, that would be great. Go ahead and make the stop.”
"Got it ma’am. You can change them right in the back seat there. I sure wouldn’t mind.
Mary smiled, the smile a woman gets when given a compliment by a stranger just when she needs it. “Thank you, Sid, I believe I will.”
“Okay, go-ahead ma’am, I’ll wait for you right here.”
After Mary had gone in the store, Sid said aloud to no one in particular, “Yep, those legs will look real fine as lamp stands.” He smiled and waited eagerly for Mary to return.

:

Two people hating each other.

• Hi
  • Bye
  • How are you ?
  • Bad now you are asking me.