Unicode?

Does Papyrus Author support unicode encoding when exporting a pdf? My older version of Papryus exports using ansi encoding (using Windows). This results in garbled international characters when viewed on a Mac. I’m looking for some way to make pdfs with international characters readable on both systems.

TK

Interesting! I haven’t seen any garbled characters, neither in pdf nor in pap documents on Mac and Windows.

What version of Papyrus are you using, and which fonts are in the document with the garbled characters?

Did you check the pdf with Adobe Reader’s document information (Ctrl-D or Cmd-D) and the font embedding displayed there?

If you are using any of the system fonts (such as Arial, Courier New oder Times New Roman) – did you try to embed them es well? There’s a setting for this in the PDF Export dialog under “Miscellaneous”: Always embed standard fonts.

1 Like

I have been using the last English version of Papyrus before it was converted to Author, 12.56. The project I’m doing involves the songs of Franz Schubert, so a lot of German characters are involved. Acrobat lists the font encoding as ansi using the Times New Roman Font. I did not ask Papyus to embed the font since its ubiquitous, but I’m not certain what it chooses to do by default when exporting to pdf. I don’t use a Mac, but two of my daughters do, and each had reported garbled umlaut characters. This was a pretty common problem with ansi encoding since Mac’s used their own encoding for the 126-255 numbered characters and that encoding differs from any of the standard Windows Latin 1 encodings. Word now defaults to unicode and I wanted to know if Author does, since I have always preferred Papyrus to Word. I’m wondering if I load my older ansi encoded Papyrus files into Pap. Author, if it will export them using unicode encoding. I can’t find anything on unicode in the documentation.
TK

That’s pretty old, indeed :slight_smile: I’m still using an installation of 13.x on Windows NT quite regularly, too. It’s on a measurement computer connected to a scientific device where I use Papyrus Base to create a searchable list of available analysis data.

Papyrus (non-Author) has been using Unicode internally since version 4, if I remember correctly. That was sometime between 1995 and 2000 when its core was rewritten to run on Atari, OS/2, Windows, and later Mac.

I can open old pap documents using the current Papyrus without any character encoding problems. The only glitches that usually happen are vector graphics not displaying because Papyrus always used the system’s native formats which were not supported on other platforms. And sometimes the placement of images or graphics is mangled because something was changed in this respect over the years, too. Other than that, Papyrus is very backwards compatible.

In a pdf created by the current version of Papyrus which is using Arial as a document font, the encoding is displayed in Adobe Reader as „Identity-H“ (whatever that means). It displays without errors on Windows and Mac, including German umlauts, Polish diacritical signs, Greek and Cyrillic script too.

1 Like