Using the 3 act structure for my antagonist

Hi! :wave:

How is everyone doing with their writing projects? I just had a bit of a personal “Eureka!” moment, and want to share it in case it may be helpful to someone else :slight_smile:

It’s the week after the holidays and I’m looking at four days in a row where I didn’t meet my daily writing quota. Which means I need to really step on it now if I want to get this draft done by the end of the month. (As a bit of context: I’m taking part in the April NaNoWriMo Camp, trying to reach 50,000 words by April 30.)

I guess, it’s still doable, but I need a good strategy to get there. As it happens, the last scene I wrote features my antagonist, and on re-reading the pages I realized that while I have a pretty good idea of who they are and what put them in the story I don’t know enough of what they want and how they are going about achieving it.

In other words, I have a pretty good outline for my protagonist at this point, but still a rather foggy image of the antagonist (other than they’re big, bad and dangerous :sweat_smile:). So I took to my Thinkboards again and used the Three Act Structure template to outline a story arc for my antagonist.

Maybe I am only stating the obvious here, and I may well be the very last one to realize that’s how it’s done, but plotting the antagonist’s story arc this way opened my eyes to more obstacles my protagonist will face in turn. By transferring all this to the scenes in my Organizer I have a much more detailed framework now. That should help with a more streamlined process in writing this first draft.

How do you go about outlining your stories?

Have a great writing day!
Joey

1 Like