Writing advice needed

Where do you go if you have possibly good idea for a book? needing someone who is a writer to help with a book , where do you turn?

You just sit down and write it. If you want to employ a ghost-writer, you’d better have plenty of money to pay them.

Ideas are two-a-penny. The actual work is the writing.

If you’ve never written before, learn some basic craft, try out a few methods and see what works for you.

According to most authors, the first million words you write are crap anyway.

Read a lot, write a lot.

2 Likes

There are many great resources out there to help you learn to write. Websites. Books. Groups. I’m particularly fond of books for this. There’s a great series called “Write Great Fiction” that I found very helpful in sharpening my skills. Each book covers one aspect of writing. I have two of them on my desk right now as I’m revising my latest book.

And as rabin_purple said, “Read a lot, write a lot.” Read several books in the genre that you’re interested in to get an idea of how those books go. Or just write it. If you grew up reading and reading and reading, you may already know how a book is supposed to flow. I wrote my first book without any “training” and it went great. But now I spend the time reading about how to become a better writer.

Just remember, most first drafts suck. Write it anyway. You can’t fix or edit what isn’t written.

1 Like

If you’d like to hire a writer, try LinkdIn or a local university.

I make lists.
Read advice - Google e.g. guide to writing a book for beginners
Who is your audience?
How will you publish?
Consider creating writing course
Define your writing space - place
- table and comfortable chair
- snacks and drink
Research as much as possible, perhaps write a page of notes for each person or place
List the cast of characters, with brief descriptions.
List the places in which the book is set and list reasons for each one
Write the plot as a list of actions / interactions
Schedule writing times
Decide your daily word count and stick to it
Schedule one rest day per week or two half days.
Write a rough draft
Revise
Edit
Get a friend or two, or more, to read and comment
Revise
Edit

That should be enough to get you started on writing your book.

2 Likes