Issues with save files between Linux and Windows

Hello, here’s a more technical question, if I may.

I have two computers I use for writing. One is my Windows desktop downstairs, and upstairs in the bedroom I have a Linux laptop. Sometimes I just like to write while laying in bed. Totally normal, I’m told.

So, the idea was that I would use Crossover to install the software and Dropbox to be able to work with the same file across both platforms and computers. It works well with Scrivener. However, Crossover installs it’s “bottles” to a unique directory on the Linux. I didn’t think this would be a problem, but if I make changes in Papyrus on the laptop, I can’t use elements like character sheets on the Windows system because the character sheets database is saved in the Crossover directory. I did a sort of workaround by installing the Papyrus bottle directly in Dropbox. That seems to work a little bit, but Crossover then started having issues with it.

So my thoughts/suggestion is that:

Is there any way to have the databases stick with the saved file location? Alternatively, a Linux version that won’t require Crossover? The reason that this isn’t an issue in reverse (changes on the Windows and then read in Linux) is that Crossover creates a mimic of the windows file structure that it uses to normalize the install, so the Linux version sees the files in the normal Windows locations. Also, I think the latter example requires making the save file on the Windows first.

Anything to get those words on page! :nerd_face:

I’ve never tried Crossover, but I know some fellow writers use Wine, and I believe they’re working across two computers as well.

Have you tried having your project folder in your Dropbox, and then opening it from there with Papyrus Author?

That way, you’ll have one project you’re editing with both computers, and because the Character Database and other project files are stored in the same location, the paths shouldn’t cause any trouble either.

:bulb: When working with Cloud and two computers, remember to save your work after each session so you always have the most recent version in the cloud when you open it on the other computer.

Here’s a thread on syncing over Cloud that’s discussing the same topics: Syncing between devices

Resources for setting up the Cloud

Wiki article on Cloud: Using a Cloud With Papyrus Author

Tutorial video on setting up Cloud: Backups: Saving with Incremental & Automatic Backups

With this setup, the project itself never leaves your Dropbox, so it should be smooth sailing regardless of how Crossover deals with the Papyrus Author installation itself. :sailboat:

Let me know how it goes! :wrench: :construction_worker_man:

This is strange because usually Papyrus uses relative paths to find the character database within the project folder. So if it can open the main document, then opening the database should work as well. But occasionally an absolute path might wind up there and cause problems, especially if the drive letters are different.

Can you check the path to the character database at Author > My Project > Path to ‘My Characters’? Is it the same on Windows as on Linux? If it’s absolute (i.e. starting with a drive letter such as C: or D:), try making it relative and see if that helps.

Anything to get those words on page! :nerd_face:

Or require a catcher’s mitt and a bit of river dancing. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ve never tried Crossover, but I know some fellow writers use Wine, and I believe they’re working across two computers as well.

Well, as I understand it, Crossover is just a fancy interface for doing Wine. I’ve tried doing Wine straight up, but the high isn’t that enjoyable. In short, it takes a level of geek I’ve yet to achieve.

Have you tried having your project folder in your Dropbox, and then opening it from there with Papyrus Author?

That way, you’ll have one project you’re editing with both computers, and because the Character Database and other project files are stored in the same location, the paths shouldn’t cause any trouble either.

Well, that’s actually what I’ve basically done. The project file and directory is in Dropbox. If I create the file with the windows version first, then I can see all of the file on Linux. But if I create the project file on the Linux, the windows version cant see the character sheets or timeline, and you can’t even save. It gives an error that those files are located in a directory where Crossover installs its bottles by default.

So, if I install the Papyrus bottle into the dropbox instead, then create the project file on the windows version, it can be read properly on the Linux side. However, Crossover starts having issues after a few days with that, requiring me to reinstall papyrus again.

So, it seems that the databases, when creating the project file on the Linux side and saving it to the Dropbox, is still keeping the databases in the crossover directory. This is what led me to believe that the databases aren’t kept with the project file.

:bulb: When working with Cloud and two computers, remember to save your work after each session so you always have the most recent version in the cloud when you open it on the other computer.

I’ll look into that, but it seems that’s a bit of what I’m already doing? Could be onfused about it. It happens now and then. :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you updated, but looking forward to any more thoughts you might have.

Here’s a thread on syncing over Cloud that’s discussing the same topics: Syncing between devices

Resources for setting up the Cloud

Wiki article on Cloud: Using a Cloud With Papyrus Author

Tutorial video on setting up Cloud: Backups: Saving with Incremental & Automatic Backups

With this setup, the project itself never leaves your Dropbox, so it should be smooth sailing regardless of how Crossover deals with the Papyrus Author installation itself. :sailboat:

Let me know how it goes! :wrench: :construction_worker_man:
[/quote]

Well, the thing is…this problem crops up when I create the project file on the Linux first. On the windows side, I get an error that the crossover directory containing the databases can’t be found on the windows. However, if I install the bottle into the dropbox instead of the default, and I create the project file on the windows side first, it works…until crossover decides that it won’t unless I reinstall the bottle.

The side effect of this that I haven’t mentioned is that, by installing the bottle into the dropbox directory instead of the default, I can only launch papyrus from within the crossover app. But that’s a crossover issue.

Please do check the path to the character database in this case. Or try to select the character database by using the Select button at Author > My Project > Path to ‘My Characters’. Can you navigate to the dropbox directoy and to your project folder there?

So, you can manually set where the databases are saved? Did I read that right?

Well, I finally got around to looking at the situation again with your suggestion in mind. To be fair, I was looking for something like that in the options, not in the Author menu. But, there it was.

So, I took a chance. I uninstalled the Papyrus I had installed directly into the Dropbox directory and put it back in the default Crossover directory. Then I copied the My Characters directory from one of the other attempts and put it into the save file directory I wanted to use. Then, of course, I used your suggestion to direct Papyrus to look for them there.

Bingo! Yahtzee! Dominoes, mother…oops…got carried away there. But it worked. So, end result is I can now launch Papyrus properly on the Linux (installing the bottle to the dropbox folder prevented launching Papyrus normally through the icon), and it sees the file properly, with changes, on both computers.

Good job! I’m was THIS close to putting the laptop back to boring old windows. You saved the day. As the kids these days say…“’ 'preciate you, bruh” :joy:

2 Likes

Excellent! That’s how it should be.

Yes, Papyrus is very flexible in this regard. This way it lets you reuse a character database in a different project or even share a database among several projects.

1 Like