Turning Tales Week 2: The Perfect First Sentence

Hi Connie,
Thanks, that’s the objective I guess, but also does it come across that create questions about the situation he seems to be in?

Prompt

Surprisingly, Even after the operation, my left nut has more of a role in this story than I would like.

2 Likes

Prompt

With blood dripping from every orifice, she struggled valiantly to reach the screaming, horrified child and crawl though the blackened hole.

1 Like

since you start out past tense - hated - shouldn’t the last word be ran instead of run?

PROMPT

Filton Shields stared at the text message on his phone in disbelief: “Sorry, Prof, you were wrong. It’s back!”

2 Likes

Prompt

If you’re like me, those of us who can see more than is good for us, then welcome to the world full of bizarre creatures who call part of our world theirs. They can see us but they look like normal people to the mundanes around us. The mundanes are people who cannot see beyond what their brain tells them is there.

((Work In-progress))

1 Like

Prompt

The world is full of people who tolerate Vicky Elliot, but I for one do not!

6 Likes

Prompt

Life as a teenage witch isn’t at all like on TV, especially if you’re not very good at it. My friends and I don’t undergo constant adventures caused by my misfortunes and I don’t have a talking familiar who is a smartass.

2 Likes

Yes, it sparked an emotion in me. The situation he finds himself in is surely not what he intended. I liked it!

Would you like to read the entire script?

1 Like

Prompt

It was the bright blue hair that first caught my attention during the concert interval. She, the owner of said bright blue hair, was leaning against the wall, a few steps down from where I was sitting. My eyes were drawn to her as she moved, rather seductively I thought, to sip the drink that she was holding.

1 Like

I could not for the life of me guess which kind of book could follow this sentence, but you used minimal means to generate maximum curiosity.

1 Like

My guess: light-hearted urban fantasy.

Interesting approach, crushing all hope regarding quirky adventures. Very relatable. Still makes me wonder what life as a teenage witch is really like.

It’s a love story! I’m in.

I have nothing but a name to go on, but I really want to know why Vicky Elliot is so utterly intolerable.

Could this be the first sentence of a novel set in a high school, perhaps?

This definitely takes me to a place of danger. A mystery, perhaps, with a chance of violence? Or a science fiction novel, and the creature in question is an alien that’s about to attack the science vessel for a second time?

1 Like

Here’s my guess what kind of book could follow this sentence: I expect melancholy and illness, middle age and a hearty humor. And there should be a beer or two somewhere in there.

Great, now we have an insane bear the weight of a small car.

(But I like it.)

Is it a were bear story?

2 Likes

Prompt

A second lightning struck me even before the first thunder was to hear. A vague feeling told me the gods might have lost patience with me.

4 Likes

Prompt

I make miracles happen for people, but I didn’t know I’d need my own miracle today.

4 Likes